Special Satipatthana Vipassana weekend retreat in Karunika, Meerhuizenplein 38, Amsterdam.
Intended for more experienced meditators of Vipassana meditation as taught by Mahasi Sayadaw. Registration is required. The sessions will be guided by Adi Ichsan.
In this weekend, emphasis is placed on how to practice the Contemplation of Disgust (organs and limbs meditation) and the Elements Contemplation in Vipassana, as described in the Mahasatipatthana Sutta.
Most of us have started naming “rising-falling” when following the abdominal breath without realizing that in the Satipatthana the emphasis is not on the mental label of “rising-falling” but on the direct recognition of the involved physical consciousness.
Therefore, the recognition and specific awareness of elements and organs/limbs is essential to stay on the Vipassana trajectory and not let the meditation turn into residing in calmness.
The point of this approach is to help you realize that you are not a monolithic entity but a conglomeration of smaller entities that all arise, operate and disappear through specific laws of inter-dependencies. This makes the consciousness more inclined to accept the fact that there is actually no “self” unless you start imagining it yourself.
- 9:45 – 10:00 Arrival and welcome
- 10:00 – 12:30 meditation session 1 (walking and sitting)
- 12:30 – 13:30 lunch – a vegetarian / vegan lunch is provided
- 13:30 – 15:30 meditation session 2 (walking and sitting)
- 15:30 – 16:00 pause for refreshments
- 16:00 – 17:00 meditation session 3 (sitting)
- 17:00 – 18:00 Q&A and Dhamma talk
- There is space for maximum 10 participants.
- You can only participate for the entire weekend.
- In case the weekend is fully booked, you can ask to be placed on a waiting list.
- If you are unable to attend, please inform us as soon as possible. We can then invite the next person on the waiting list.
Please note the admission requirements related to Covid-19 / Corona
From our view on Buddhist ethics, we see Covid-19 as a risk for the supervisors and participants, but also as a risk to infect others. We have therefore chosen for this moment to limit access to physical activities to people who are demonstrably protected. This is in accordance with the guidelines of the central government (https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/coronavirus-covid-19/corona proof).
If you want to participate, make sure you can show the Corona check app with QR code. Alternatives are a ‘yellow booklet’ completed by the GGD or general practitioners or a PCR test or high-quality self-test with a negative result, which is done a maximum of 36 hours in advance.
We are aware that proof of protection against Covid-19 from ‘alternative’ or ‘non-conventional’ medicine is not accepted. We hope that this will be the case in the foreseeable future. For questions and comments, please send an email to email@example.com.
Finally, government guidelines have been largely relaxed, but there is still a high number of infections. Dhammadipa therefore chooses to continue to use the above policy for the time being.r now.
- The meditation weekend is being offered on the basis of dana (a voluntary contribution); with a suggested amount of € 35 per day.
- At the end of the day or weekend, there will also be the opportunity to donate extra for the meditation guidance and teachings.
- The dana can be offered via a bank transfer to the Dhammadipa, Amsterdam account number NL85 INGB 0005019113, mentioning ‘vipassana meditation weekend october 2022’.
- There is also a dana box so that you may offer dana in cash.