Vipassana Introduction Course in English (6/7) 5 april – 31 may 2023 physical
The course is suitable for all those living in Amsterdam and the surrounding area, who are interested in getting acquainted with the practice of Vipassana meditation.
Registration is required. Guidance by Aad Verboom.
The course is based on the approach of the late Mahasi Sayadaw and will allow the student to understand the difference between calm-directed meditation and wisdom-directed meditation. Vipassana, which is frequently described as Insight Meditation, is typically a wisdom-directed approach.
During the 7 sessions, the meditation student will practice standing, sitting, walking and moving exercises to gradually develop temporary concentration based on mindfulness of the body, feelings, consciousness and mind objects. The central focus of these exercises is to generate a heightened sense of awareness and alertness of what is experienced by the body and mind from moment to moment, at any moment.
In general, the practice will help the student to accept reality as it is, to develop patience, endurance and determination.
Venue for all sessions is Karunika, Meerhuizenplein 38, Amsterdam.
This course is also suitable for Dutch speakers with sufficient English knowledge.
- 7 Wednesday evenings, from 5 april to 31 may (5, 12, 26 april and 3, 10, 24 and 31 may), from 18:30 until 20:30
- Course material is handed during classes.
- Maximum 12 participants. You can register via the website, Registration – Dhammadipa.
- When the course is fully booked, you can sign up for the waiting list.
- If you are unable to attend, please inform us as soon as possible. We can then invite the next person on the waiting list.
Please note the measures against Covid-19 / Corona
From our point of view on buddhist ethics Covid-19 is a risk for teachers and participants as well as for those present to contaminate others. We have therefore chosen to limit access to physical activities to those who can show themselves to be protected. This according to the advice of the Dutch government (https://www.government.nl/topics/c/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/coronavirus-measures-and-advice-in-brief).
If you wish to join, make sure you:
- can show the Corona check app with the QR code, or
- can show the ‘yellow book’, filled in by the GGD or your general practitioner, or
- can show a PCR test with negative result, done no longer than 36 hours before the event, or
- test yourself with a self test of good quality, with negative result, done no longer than 24 hours before the event. Since the latter option is hard to show or prove, we will trust your personal statement on the matter. In case of doubt a new self-test is required, provided by Dhammadipa.
We are aware of the fact that in this way proof of protection against Covid-19 does not include proof from ‘alternative’ or ‘non-regular’ medicine. We hope that this will be possible in the near future. For questions and comments please e-mail email@example.com.
- Costs: € 75 for the course (fixed price).
- At the end of the course, there will also be the opportunity to donate extra for the meditation guidance and teachings.
- The dana can be offered via a bank transfer to the Dhammadipa, Amsterdam account number NL85 INGB 0005019113, mentioning ‘vic april 2023’ .
- There is also a dana box so that you may offer dana in cash.